Dr. Kearney is pleased to offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) to treat pigmented skin and vascular lesions which can help give patients clear, beautiful, and younger looking skin.
What is Lumecca™?
Lumecca™ is the newest generation of, and most powerful, IPL technology to treat pigmented skin and vascular lesions. Lumecca operates by using photothermolysis which provides a photofacial through the delivery of a comfortable light treatment. While you may have tried IPL in the past, the Lumecca technology and delivery of light to the cell is different and more effective at treating sun damage, hyperpigmentation, freckles, aging skin, broken capillaries, vessels, rosacea, melasma and brown spots.
Lumecca can be used on all areas of the body but the most common areas of treatment include the face, neck, chest, hands, arms, and legs. Lumecca can be used on all skin types.
What are the benefits of the IPL Laser?
- No downtime
- Fewer treatments needed than other IPL machines
- Improves the appearance of age spots, spider veins, rosacea, freckles, sun damage
- Improves the complexion and clarity of skin
What is the IPL treatment like?
Lumecca IPL treatments are fairly quick, in-office procedures which don’t require any numbing cream or medication and can be performed by our trained nurses. A clear gel is put on the treatment area in order to glide the handpiece over the top. There will be a bright flash of light from the Lumecca machine as it glides over the treatment area that feels like a light, elastic, snapping sensation on the skin. The Intense Pulsed Light heats the dermis and pulls pigment (brown spots) to the surface of your skin. Redness and a slight warming of the skin are normal right after treatment and usually subside within an hour or so.
What is the recovery like and how many treatments will I need?
- Immediately following the treatment and over the next 24-48 hours, you may see a darkening of the pigmented spots.
- Over the next couple of weeks, you’ll see the darkened spots start to flake off, leading to a more even skin tone.
- When treating vascular lesions patients may see the vein blanch and disappear or change color but this dissipates after a few days.
- The number of treatments needed depends on your skin type, amount of damage, and desired outcome. Most patients can see great results within 1-2 weeks following just one treatment. Having multiple sessions will improve the final result and on average most patients choose to receive 1-3 treatments, spaced about 4 weeks apart.
- Patients should avoid tanning after treatment and sunscreen is highly recommended.
Lumecca Before & After Photo