Whether you used bariatric surgery or simple willpower, losing lots of weight is hard work. But now that you’ve lost the weight, your skin didn’t get the memo; it’s still stuck at the old expanded size. And there is nothing you can do about this with exercise. No matter what you do, after being stretched for so long that skin can’t return to its former degree of tautness.
Body contouring with Dr. Kearney is in order.
What is body contouring?
You can think of body contouring after major weight loss as the final item to tick off your list. Body contouring will improve the shape and the tone of the skin. During the procedure, Dr. Kearney removes any excess skin to provide a smoother, more natural contour that matches the slimmer body beneath.
Who is right for contouring?
Patients who are thinking about body contouring need to note two things. First, the patient needs to have lost all of the weight he or she plans to lose. Any future weight loss will create sagging (although not to the same degree), which was the initial problem. So, the person should be at his or her target weight.
Second, the patient needs to have stabilized his or her weight for a period of time. Again, this is very important because repeated gain and loss of weight will cause the skin to stretch and sag.
What happens after excessive weight loss?
When a person loses a dramatic amount of weight, the skin that has been stretched for so long cannot return to its former degree of tautness. You can compare this to a rubber band that has been stretched for a long period of time. When finally released, it now is longer and less taut.
Here are typical problems after losing the weight:
- The upper arms are loose and flappy.
- Breasts are flattened with the nipples pointing downward.
- The abdomen hangs like an apron with skin hanging downward around the back and sides.
- Other areas such as the buttocks, thighs, and groin sag and pockets of skin are created.
- The excess skin creates areas where it rubs, leading to sores and rashes.
- Excess skin can make personal hygiene challenging in places.
The options for body contouring with Dr. Kearney
There isn’t a single “body contouring” procedure. The areas that need addressing are different for each individual. During your consultation, you’ll discuss which procedures may be right for your situation. Here are the different procedures Dr. Kearney uses:
- A breast lift with or without augmentation will improve the volume and size of the breasts.
- A facelift will address loose skin in the mid-face, lower face, and upper neck.
- A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and tighten underlying muscle to tone the stomach area.
- An arm lift will remove loose, flappy skin on the upper arms.
- A thigh and buttocks lift will remove excess skin and pockets on the buttocks and upper thighs.
Now that you’ve lost the weight, finish the job with body contouring to get rid of your loose skin. Call Dr. Kearney at (858) 677-9352 and set up a consultation.